Catch up on this week’s industry chatter with these click-worthy links:
- “The Amway Story: Hard-Won Lessons Guide 'Made In The USA' Strategy” Forbes spoke to George Calvert, Chief Supply Chain and R&D Officer at Amway, about the factors that guide the company when determining what to make and what to buy, and where goods will be manufactured.
- “Why Herbalife CEO's Departure Is a Body Blow to the Company” Herbalife caused a stir—as it often does these days—with its Wednesday announcement that CEO Michael O. Johnson will step down next year. Fortune’s Roger Parloff, author of a memorable September 2015 long-form piece on the company’s battle with hedge fund manager William Ackman, shared his take on what a change of leadership could portend for the nutrition company.
- “Carl Icahn buys more Herbalife shares worth $100 million” Wall Street mogul and Herbalife supporter Carl Icahn also responded to the company’s announcement—initially with a written statement, and then with the purchase of 1,832,402 more shares of Herbalife on Thursday. Now holding a 23.05 percent stake, Icahn is one of the company’s largest investors.
- “How Every Entrepreneur Can Find Success By Hitting Rock Bottom” Rock bottom is a place no one wants to be, but in the newly released Rock Bottom to Rock Star, ViSalus Co-Founder and CEO Ryan Blair says it’s a place that most successful people find themselves at one point or another. Writing for Fortune, Blair details how his own failure and that of others—including Apple legend Steve Jobs—inspired his latest book.
- “FTC Chairwoman Ramirez Addresses Direct Sales Association; Offers Compliance Recommendations for Industry and Signals that Additional Guidance is on its Way” Edith Ramirez, Chairwoman of the Federal Trade Association, addressed the direct sales community at the Direct Selling Association’s recent Business & Policy Conference in Washington, D.C. Lexology provides key takeaways from the chairwoman’s comments on network-marketing business practices, which come just months after the FTC’s long-awaited settlement with Herbalife.